Saturday, June 15, 2013

Yoga

      I know what you are thinking. How can yoga be an enlightening experience? It's full of young people who eat organic anything-they-can-get-their-hands-on. False. This was Bikram Yoga. They turn the room up to about 120 degrees Fahrenheit. There were about 30 people in a small room, which meant it felt like 130. They opened the windows to cool the room. Outside is around 85 degrees and humid. 85 and humid to cool!

      I was warned. Dad and Rebecca said that I would sweat more than I had in my life. They were right. The sweat level was almost like getting in a shower in workout clothes. Every single person was drenched. At the end of class, the instructor told us that the beginners lose about 500 calories. The more experienced people lose 700-1000. I don't know what the conversion rate is but that's probably a pound or two. Every class. In the middle, I had to leave the room, a cardinal sin, because I felt as though I was about to throw up. Thankfully I didn't, but I had never had a more intense workout in my life. And I hadn't done karate in around 2-3 months. So this was the first workout in a long while. 

     The reason behind the nausea, in the opinion of the instructor, was the meal we had a couple hours before the class. It consisted of pork on a stick and a tuna belly. It was a lot of food. With an order came three 'kebabs' of pork chunks. We also got a similar order, but with pork fat. We also got a large steak sized tuna belly. And three bundles of rice. We got nowhere near to finishing, but lesson learned. 

     Aside from the nausea, and the lightheadedness, and the utter drenching in sweat, the class wasn't half bad. It's definitely a thing that grows on you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment