Thursday, June 19, 2014

Trip #2

     Well, I'm back. To the Philippines, that is. I got here, after a 22-hour plane flight, on Tuesday night. I came back to 1) see Dad and Rebecca, and 2) do something meaningful with my time that colleges are interested in. I begin part 2 on Saturday. I will be traveling to a small village 6 hours north of Manila to work at a small clinic aimed at children with various ailments, such as burns, cleft palates, etc. I will be there as a handyman, fixing things as I go, and I will be dealing with the children through speech therapy and various summer camp-like activities. Rebecca and Dad will drive up to Wild Orchid Beach Resort with me, on the way to the village, and we will spend the weekend there. The owner/operator of the clinic will meet us there and take me the rest of the way. 

     So far, I haven't done much except college stuff and get ready for the 3-4 week village-living experience. It's kind of weird, saying college stuff. As you may know, I am a rising senior, aka, just a senior, so that means that I have to research college, start filling out applications, and start writing the dreaded essays. I think that I have my final list of 9 schools I will be applying to. And they are Rice University, Purdue University, University of Michigan @ Ann Arbor, Boston University, Georgia Institute of Technology, University of Texas @ Austin, University of Texas @ Arlington, Texas A&M @ College Station, and Colorado School of Mines. Honestly, a pretty daunting list. My preferred major (unless, or rather, until I change my mind) is any one of Aerospace Engineering, Astronomy, or Astrophysics. So pretty much something to do with space. 

     Whoever is reading this, I will keep you updated on my progress, as my grandmother made me promise that I will keep documenting my exploits this summer. When more interesting things happen, I will let you know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment